Monday, May 21, 2012

[Vancouver, BC] Team Tournament Report

With the Team Tournament hosted by DifferenceinSkill now in the history books, it's time for my personal tournament report. The format was Swiss with 5 rounds (one being a Bye). The first player of each team would play each other and regardless of the outcome, both would switch out for the next two players, like in the anime. Without further ado, here we go:

My Team
Calling ourselves the Three Sackateers, my team consisted of (in this order):
Mochachiiiino - Nova Grapplers
HerO - Tsukuyomi OTT
FuzzyApple - Dimensional Police

Round 1
Our first opponents were Chan's team. Chan played Dragonic Overlord The End while his teammates played Shadow Paladin and Gold Paladin. To say the least, our work was cut out for us.

Mochachiiiino (Nova Grappler) vs. Ben (Phantom Blaster Overlord)
With Ben missing his Blaster Javelin ride, things were looking good. Mochachiiiino slowly gained advantage by checking Grade 3's to stand his units and triggers while having plenty to guard with. Eventually Ben did get to a 13k Phantom Blaster Overlord, but with 11k Divine Beast Azure Dragons and Asura Kaisers and 7k boosters, Mochachiiiino kept hitting for 18k, forcing 10k shields from Ben's hand. Eventually it was too much to handle and Mochachiiiino took the first game.

HerO (Tsukuyomi OTT) vs. Chan (Overlord The End)
I start off getting all the Tsukuyomi rides, but I took 4 damage a little too early in the game thanks to a critical trigger and having nothing to guard with. When I get to the Grade 3 Tsukuyomi, I boost it with Blue-Eye but without a 6th soul I don't get either of their effects off that turn. He rides Dragonic Overlord and I know The End is right around the corner, meaning I had to take advantage of his 11k Vanguard right there. Unfortunately, my field set-up was far from ideal due to the available cards in my hand, even after topping a Psychic Bird to use Tsukuyomi's effect. I knew there and then that I was not going to be able to last until I got to my trigger stack. At only 4 damage he rides Dragonic Overlord The End, and I know it's all going to be downhill from here. I have to guard his attacks because of it's Persona Blast and my hand starts to deplete. In my last turn I have to call over Blue-Eye (hitting for bad numbers against 13k) and Silent Tom (as it's useless with a 13k Vanguard) for Evil-eye Princess, Euryale and a Gemini behind my Full Moon Tsukuyomi knowing that either I win this turn or I will lose the game. Unfortunately I get no triggers and lose the following turn. 13k Vanguards are stupid. Moving on.

FuzzyApples (Dimensional Police) vs. Joel (Gold Paladin)
The only thing I remember about this game is that FuzzyApples hits for 2 Crit and Joel takes it to reveal two Draw Triggers as damage checks. The game was pretty much over by then as Joel never let go of his advantage. We end up with a 1-2 loss first round but that was 1 win more than I thought we were gonna get. 

Result: 1-2 LOSS

Round 2
Due to our amazing luck we got to play the two most top-tier teams first. Why and his teammates all played Shadow Paladin, Majesty Lord Blaster and Dragonic Overlord the End. Fun.

Mochachiiiino (Nova Grappler) vs. Johnny (Majesty Lord Blaster)
Don't remember much about this game other than Mochachiiino characteristically drew 4 Grade 3's in the first 3 turns, forcing him to take damage early. Even though Johnny did not get Majesty Lord Blaster's effect until later in the game it was too little too late for Mochachiiino and with a depleted hand and not drive checking anything, loses the game.

HerO (Tsukuyomi OTT) vs. Willie (Overlord the End)
Another The End deck, what fun. I get a poor start this game, missing my Grade 2 Tsukuyomi, the most important ride. I ride a Oracle Guardian Red-Eye in hopes of soul charging the Grade 2 but no such luck. The following turn I do top the Grade 2 so I ride it over Red-Eye. While I'm just trying to keep afloat Willie's hand gets to about 13-15 cards, which didn't even matter as I only had 1 double trigger stack available, which I miss because I can't count apparently. Knowing that I have nothing left and he has 15 cards in his hand, I lose shortly after.

Result: 0-2 LOSS

Round 3
We get a bye. Yay.

Round 4
Now that the top 2 teams are over with, we should have an easier time with the other teams right? RIGHT?!?!

Mochachiiiino (Nova Grappler) vs. ONImuzik (Majesty Lord Blaster)
I don't remember much about this game except for the end where ONImuzik misplays and guards for 10k with two 5k's but leaves a perfect guard and Blaster Dark in his hand, which he can't discard for Isolde's effect. Had he ditched the Blaster Dark and kept anything else he would've been fine. Mochachiiiino takes the win!

HerO (Tsukuyomi OTT) vs. Andrew (Granblue)
Before the match Andrew and I joked around that I would lose to a double critical as he runs 12 critical triggers. But what are the chances of that happening? I get all the rides off with Tsukuyomi and he rides his Limit Break Grade 3. He attacks while I'm at 3 damage and I no guard. What could possibly go wrong? First check, critical trigger. Second check, critical trigger. Well fuck. First damage check, nothing. Second damage check, nothing. Last damage check, GET HEAL TRIGGER. Thanks to good old Lozenge Magus I stay alive. I play passively, attacking and guarding until I get to my first trigger stack. He perfect guards my Vanguard's attack so I put the power of the triggers on my rearguards, which he also guards, but I've depleted his hand. Next turn with Blue-Eye I get to my next stack, which he doesn't guard as he didn't have enough cards, to reveal a heal trigger and a critical trigger, netting me the win. Thank God for heal triggers.

Result: 2-0 WIN WOooOOOoOOOOOO

Final Round
Going into this last round there was a small chance of us coming in second as long as Chan's team won against Why's team and we won this round. So here we go.

Mochachiiiino (Nova Grappler) vs. Hyoma (Angel Feather)
Nothing special this game, back and forth guarding until Mochachiiiino guards for 10k for a total of 21k power against a 19k Vanguard, but tells Hyoma he needs two triggers. Hyoma first checks a Critical trigger, which he puts on a rearguard thinking he needs two. Had Hyoma put the power and critical on the Vanguard, the attack would've gone through. Everyone noticed except for the players playing, which turned out to cost Hyoma the win. Mochachiiiino ends up checking well to deplete Hyoma's hand and eventually win the game. Mochachiiiino was told afterwards about what happened and it was determined that since Hyoma did not oppose what Mochahiiiino said during the game, the win was good. An unfortunate incident that could've been avoided had they not skipped that addition class in the 4th grade.

HerO (Tsukuyomi OTT) vs. Stanley (Granblue)
Another Granblue, great! I'm glad I got to play a variety of decks in this tournament. Sarcasm aside, I thought I was going to lose this game. I missed my Grade 2 ride (again) and rode a Red-Eye (again) to try and soul-charge the Grade 2, which didn't happen. So I ride my Grade 3 Tsukuyomi (at 9k power) and managed to get the 6 soul with Red-Eyes to use her effect. Fortunately for me, I draw into the Grade 2 Tsukuyomi using Full Moon's effect, allowing me to put her into my soul which made my Grade 3 Tsukuyomi 11k. Crisis averted. After this, not a lot happened; I played passively until I reached my trigger stack, which he managed to guard the first time, but with a depleted hand, lost to my second stack of triggers.

Result: 2-0 WIN

In the end, Chan's team ended up losing the last round, meaning that we finished in third place and that there was a tie between Why's and Chan's teams, forcing a last round to determine the winner. Eventually, Chan's team won and since it was Chan that organized the tournament, like the awesome guy he is, split his team's prize with ALL the participants. All in all, the tournament was fun for spectators and players alike. I'm satisfied with the turnout but hope for more players and spectators for the next one.

Also don't forget that ALL rounds were recorded and will be uploaded to ONImuzik's channel along with DifferenceinSkill's channel. Subscribe to both to make sure to catch all the action!

HerO

Don't forget to check out KS Games for all your Cardfight!! Vanguard needs!

1 comment:

  1. I wish we had as big of an interest a little further down south. If you ever have any major events in Vancouver, I wouldn't be opposed to driving over the border.

    ReplyDelete